The Longest Day (Part 1)

To my regular readers, my apologies again for missing another post last week.

A few weeks before Monday, 7 November 2011
One afternoon, I opened a bag of Minties that I’d had for a while and enjoyed chewing my way through some of them.

Unfortunately as a result afterwards, the teeth along my bottom right jaw began to ache a little. This worried me because a few days before Christmas 2010, one of my teeth there had collapsed and I’d gotten my first ever filling.

Had my Minties-chewing buggered that filling – and if so, how bad?

Over the next few days, the aching reappeared from time to time, and although it wasn’t intense pain I became a little concerned.

A week passed, and that ache kept on returning every now and then.

A visit to the dentist was in order. Fortunately, my next payday was due shortly and I had private health insurance, so I made a mental note to make a booking soon.

Two weeks before Monday, 7 November 2011
The next payday arrived.

I paid my rent and some bills, fed the Kindle and still had enough money left over to live comfortably until the next payday a fortnight away.

A few days later, however, I decided that it would be best to book some airline tickets for my Christmas holidays now rather than later to avoid higher prices.

Fortunately, I had enough money left over to do so…but unfortunately, although I now wasn’t broke, I would have to watch carefully what was left over.

That was a downer at first, and another incentive towards my 10-Year Plan to one day get my financial shit together – but instead of seeing it as a chore, I decided to embrace it as a challenge instead. As well, I had my previous experience to fall back upon as a former university student with low income who’d spent three years living on campus.

Over the next ten days some usual fun things like eating out and movie-night had to be curtailed, but I never starved and I was still able to get myself to my next appointment with my psychiatrist.

Slowly, Tuesday 8 November – my next payday – drew closer.

A few days before Monday, 7 November 2011
The tooth with my filling began to ache worse with greater regularity and pain.

That was very worrying – especially as this was my first experience with major dental pain.

Now I would have to go to the dentist as soon as possible.

Fortunately, Tuesday 8 November was only days away, and my private health-insurance fund had its own dental centre less than 30 minutes’ walk from my front door.

Monday, 7 November 2011
As usual, I didn’t go to bed until around 2am-3am in the morning, but that didn’t trouble me.

What was troubling, though, was that my fucking tooth ached worse than before and kept me awake for another hour or so.

Eventually, though, I got to sleep – although with my insomniac regularity, I was wide awake a few hours later at around 7am. Fortunately, though, my aching tooth had knocked off for the moment.

I tossed and turned a little in the hopes of finding a nice new position to doze off in, but that didn’t work so reluctantly I got up.

I fired up my laptop PC, had some breakfast and for the next few hours did some surfing and some work until around 10am-11am when I finally became tired again.

Gratefully, I went back to bed.


I awoke again just before 2pm, and felt wonderful – and not just physically refreshed.

Payday was now less than 12 hours away, and sometimes my pay went in right on midnight. Other times, though, it went in at later times – but even so, although I was now down to my last $10 or so, I still had food left for Tuesday, so all I had to do tomorrow was patiently wait and work at home until my pay arrived, and then hit the town.

As well, I wouldn’t be going out for dinner as I usually did on Monday nights, but there was something else to look forward to – one of my most important friends who’d moved interstate a few years was telephoning that night, and because we hadn’t spoken for a while it would be great to catch up with him.

So, the rest of my Monday was looking not too bad at all, especially after a good afternoon nap.

But if only I’d known then…

Actually, I take that back

It was most likely a good thing I didn’t know what lay ahead.

Because I don’t know how I would have reacted then if I’d known that I wouldn’t sleep again for another 36 hours.

The longest day of my life had only just begun.


Until next time, stay well and take care 🙂

About blackandblueman

Black and Blue Man lives in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
This entry was posted in Life Challenges, My Story. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s